Monday, April 1, 2013

Witnesses to the Fact

The below is the prayer I read at St. Andrew's Easter sunrise service. I particularly like "draw forth our faithfulness from places of entombment; bring it to the light of day; set it free." We are all entombed and in need of resurrection. We are also all witnesses to God having raised Jesus to life.

On the way to Easter lunch a fellow minister asked if I believed in a bodily resurrection and I answered, "Yes." I was surprised at my answer. I didn't always. However, as I've come to really believe in the incarnation I have also come to believe in a bodily resurrection. Jesus was born and Jesus died. The tomb was empty. Death has no dominion.  Resurrection is a full mind, body, spirit, experience.

This is also why I love Thomas. He had to see and touch the wounds in Jesus' hands to believe it was him. Jesus is resurrected wounds and all. It's not just his spirit but his very broken and wounded body. All is let free.  May we live as if we too believe this is so.

Blessings of new life-----


From Early in the Morning 5

O God we gather this Easter morning to express
gratitude in word and song.
We offer our thanks that when you could have abandoned us
you chose instead to affirm steadfast presence.
And we offer our thanks that the amazing graciousness of what
you will for your children far exceeds our expectations, our imaginings, even our hopes.

In days to come, may we live in Christ.
Show your power through us as you did through the crucified one.
Draw forth our faithfulness from places of entombment;
bring it to the light of day; set it free.

We pray in the name of the resurrected and risen Christ.
Amen.

Sending

Go, in awe of the creation., the incarnation, the death and resurrection of our God...
and give thanks. For God has raised Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses to the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment