Monday, April 29, 2013

Olive Tree Worship Service: April 27, 2013




Once a month St. Andrews holds an alternative meditative service for people living in the area. The focus for April was Fire. In between Taize chants we read and responded to images of fire. A number of Ecumenical Accompaniers commented on witnessing or attending to Palestinians who had been shot. 


Fire Readings


Some say the world will end in fire. Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to say that
for destruction is also great and would suffice.        
Robert Frost

Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire out of a bush; he looked and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I must turn aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, “Moses, Moses! And he said, “Here I am.”  Then he said, “Come no closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place you are standing is holy ground.”    Exodus 3:1-5

bombs in Gaza



Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before, the Lord, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire, and after the fire, a sound of silence.
         I Kings 19: 11b-12

Earth is crammed with heaven
And every bush aflame with God
But only those who see take off their shoes.
                  Elizabeth Barrett Browning


Holy Fire


Self Portrait

It doesn’t interest me if there is one God
or many gods.
I want to know if you belong or feel
abandoned.
If you know despair or can see it in others.
I want to know
if you are prepared to live in the world
with its harsh need
to change you. If you can look back
with firm eyes
saying this is where I stand. I want to know
if you know
how to melt into that fierce heat of living
falling toward
the center of your longing. I want to know
if you are willing
to live, day by day, with the consequence of love
and the bitter
unwanted passion of your sure defeat.
I have been told, in that fierce embrace, even
the gods speak of God.
         David Whyte



Someday, after mastering the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love, and then, for a second time in history of the world, man will have discovered fire.
                  Pierre Teilhard de Chardin


The Truth stands before me.
On my left is a blazing fire, and
on my right, a cool flowing stream.
One group of people walk toward the fire, into the fire,
and the other towards the cool flowing waters.
No one knows which is blessed and which is not.
But just as someone enters the fire,
the head bobs up from the water.
And just as a head sinks into the water,
that face appears in the fire.
Those who love the sweet water of pleasure
and make it their devotion are cheated by this reversal,
the deception goes further---
The voice of the fire says:
“I am not fire, I am fountainhead,
come into me and don’t mind the sparks.”
         Rumi



When the day of Pentecost had come,
They were all together in one place.
And suddenly from heaven there came a sound
Like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house
Where they were sitting. Divided tongues, as of fire,
Appeared before them, and a tongue rested on each of them.
                  Acts 2: 1-4


1 comment:

  1. Fire and Ice

    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.
    Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete